Wheat Marketing Center offers a summer internship to help analyze the annual wheat crop. This internship is beneficial for someone who is looking at a career in agriculture, food science and/or research and development. The successful applicant can expect to gain experience in all aspects of the multifaceted wheat crop quality project that analyzes the PNW wheat crop each year, including preparation and testing of wheat quality. In addition to being a part of the crop quality team, the intern may provide support for the technical short courses and tours provided for farmers, customers, and visitors from around the world.
- Historically July-September annually.
- Crop quality supply preparation (labels, sample bags)
- Precise and accurate handling of data and wheat samples
- Daily wheat, flour, and quality laboratory testing
- Crop quality data entry
- Updating the Crop Quality written procedures with Operations Manager
- Enrolled in a Science, Food Science/Agriculture program
- College Junior level or higher student or graduate student
- Previous laboratory experience preferred but not required
- Must possess a working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Must be reliable and prompt
- Strong work ethic; ability to work without supervision as well as in a team setting
Other Position Requirements:
- Standing for long periods of time in a laboratory
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- A valid driver’s license
- Must have legal status to work in the U.S.
- No wheat or flour allergies
Download internship position description by clicking here.
How to Apply:
If interested in applying for WMC’s Summer Internship, applicants must submit:
- A current resume including any organizational affiliations, work experience, awards, honors, education, etc.
- Two letters of recommendation from professors or employers
- A cover letter explaining how this internship fits with your future professional plans
- Official university/college transcripts, both undergraduate and graduate if applicable
Application materials should be sent with the subject line “WMC Crop Quality Internship” to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Recruitment of this position begins each year in March, but applications are always accepted.
Interns are responsible for all living costs while in Portland, OR including housing, food and transportation. WMC is located in Northwest Portland in the Pearl District, is accessible by public transportation, and free parking is also available. Interns are expected to work Monday thru Friday 7:30am to 4:00pm, with some overtime possible. The time period is from July to the end of September. This position is temporary and does not include employee benefits, except as required by law. All WMC employees are “at will.”
Wheat Marketing Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions are made in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws and without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, handicap, military or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
For more information on the Wheat Marketing Center, visit www.wmcinc.org.